Tuesday, November 10, 2009

APE CON Flier

If you happened to go to APE (Alternative Press Expo) Con this year (October 17th -18th 2009) I hope that you happened upon Chris Vear's table, perused his art and picked up our flier. If you didn't come to APE - for shame! You should come next year, when Scintilla and I plan on having our own Consensual Tentacle table. But I digress, below are the fliers I created to distribute around the con this year.

Here are the sketches













This was the first sketch I did. We've accepted and acknowledged that that sex sells, so we thought we'd have a sexy Gilda. It also works well with the origin of Consensual Tentacle's title origins. This sketch pretty much was spot on, except for some changes I did to make Gilda more on model. We even ran with the tag line that I came up with.

















Originally the idea was to have the opposite side be Gilda, August, and Tako at the bar drinking beer and with a multitude of expressions creating a more dynamic image. We ere going to go with our original tag line of a cyclops, a punk, and an octopus walk into a bar. This was me playing around with their expressions.













Here is is a more finalized sketch for the other side that we didn't go with. We decided to go with another idea for the back of the flier so I abandoned this idea. But this one features some new characters that will be making their debuts soon...



















Here is the final version of the flier. I did all of it in Photoshop. We had a couple of other backgrounds in mind where I used textures but before it went to print we both agreed that having a Black background and a white outline just worked the best. Scintilla came up with the text layout.



















Here is the second side of the flier, there aren't any sketches for this one because I sketched it digitally in Photoshop and then just went from there. We decided to continue with the sex sells theme and put August on the spot as well as Gilda. The response to Gilda in her bathing suit with Tako was of course August in his tighty whities on a bear skin rug. This shows off most of August tattoos including a big eagle on his chest, the heart on his sleeve, crack kills above his crack, the punk zombies eating a Hill Billy, and the metropolis pin up on his leg. When I have the time I plan to make full illustrations or flash for each of these tattoos.

No comments: